Dear Diary, It’s a Blessing

31 Days of Dear Diary
Read the series here.

-Transcript-

Aug 9, 1999
Monday
10:04 PM

I was offered three things this summer. A job, and two different summer school. 1 was for Lang & Math & the other was for Geometry. I took the Geometry. I remembered that bible passage that says God will open the floodgates of heaven & pour out so many blessings, you cannot contain them. This happened to me. I’m glad to have accepted the program. I met old friends & met new ones. It’s done now, by the way. This program also enabled me to be ahead of my level. I will be taking Algebra 2 as a freshman. This is usually a 3rd year class.

-End transcript-

It’s Malachi 3:10, the Bible verse I mentioned.

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. (Malachi 3:10, NIV)

And this promise of blessing comes with an obedience clause to tithe. And it takes a bit of faith.

10% of your income is not as much as the other 90%, but it goes a long way. If you only make $10 a day, 10% would be $1, which can buy you a sandwich in some fast food places or a cup of coffee. If you’re pinching pennies, that 10% matters.

But it also matters spiritually. If you want to live by faith, give that 10% back to Whom it belongs. Give it back to God and He will be true to His Word. The 10% will multiply. Your life will be blessed.

Perhaps that blessing will not translate into hard cash. Sometimes it does. I can testify to that. But sometimes, it’s the blessing of something else, like good health.

I didn’t have health insurance for years because I couldn’t afford it financially, but I couldn’t afford not to have it because of my asthma. God provided good health. I never got sick enough for my asthma to land me in the hospital (again). I didn’t get into accidents or had any ailments that required hospital visits. But before my insurance coverage ran out, I was in and out of the hospital for asthma, muscle spasms, physical therapy, and other health concerns.

This seems to be a thing with God. Just a little bit of time spent with Him makes a whole world of a difference. Like how reading or listening to even a small passage in the Bible can give you a better outlook on your day. How a simple prayer can give you tremendous peace. How being around other believers can make you hopeful for the future.

It’s like we can find God in the small things. He didn’t appear in the earthquake or the fire, but in a still small voice. He wasn’t born in a grand palace, but in a humble manger. He doesn’t require us to jump through hoops for salvation. His grace is freely given. His mercy is new every morning.

In the smallness of our blogs, our jobs, our days, God is there. As majestic, as wonderful, as BIG as He is, God is with us in the small stuff.

God is with you in the small stuff

Oh and just FYI, voluntary summer school, nerdy I know. But I ended up hating math. Off the top of my head, I cannot tell you what 7×8 is. For some reason I always think 64 or 62. Nope. I just checked. It’s 56 🙂

1 thought on “Dear Diary, It’s a Blessing

I'd love to hear from you!